Cluster Deep Field Overview
The FORS-ISAAC Cluster Deep Field
The cluster was selected according to the following criteria:
- Existence of published data indicating a large mass/velocity dispersionat redshift=[0.3-0.5].
- Optimal visibility throughout most part of the night in January-March (i.e.RA=8-11hr)
- Existence of gravitational arcs
Science goals include:
- Detailed study of the cluster mass distribution from gravitational lensingshear maps, magnification bias and strong lensing features
- Study the cluster galaxy population down to ~4 mag below L*, using color-magdiagrams
- Search for highly magnified distant galaxies
- Obtain photometric redshifts of all galaxies in the field
- Identify interesting stars in the field
The selection narrowed on the X-ray selected cluster MS1008.1-1224from the Einstein Medium Sensitivity Survey (EMSS, Gioia & Luppino,1994, ApJS, 94, 583) at z=0.30, also part of the CNOC Survey (Carlberget al. 1996, ApJ, 462, 32).
UBVRIJHK ovservations were initially planned for the clusterfield with total integration times of 6, 4 hours in U andB, respectively, and 3 hours in all the other bands. However,the U-band and H-band observations could not be executed, whileexposures in the other bands totalled up to roughly 50% of the plannedintegrations.