telbib - ESO Telescope Bibliography
ESO Telescope Bibliography
Navigate this page:
Important information for Authors | Reports and Statistics | Annual Report Publication Lists | Technical Information
What is telbib?
The ESO Telescope Bibliography (telbib) is a database of refereed papers published by the ESO users community. All papers use partly or exclusively data from ESO facilities. Statistics derived from the ESO Telescope Bibliography include only papers based on data from telescopes and instruments for which observing time was recommended by the ESO OPC (Observing Programmes Committee).
telbib is compiled by scanning the major astronomical journals for scientific papers that contain any of the ESO-defined keywords (e.g., telescope and instrument names). All papers included in the database have been inspected visually to ensure that they directly use ESO observational data. Please read the telbib Methodology. for more detailed information about telbib's coverage and completeness, and the methodology applied in order to maintain the database.
The database is maintained by the ESO Library (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Important information for Authors
ESO data citation policy: Publications based on ESO Data. If you publish refereed papers using ESO data, please read and apply ESO's policies on how to ackowledge observational data.
A description regarding the papers that are included in telbib (and those that are not) is available in the "paper classification" section of the telbib Methodology page.
Reports and Statistics
telbib's public interface provides access to papers that use data generated during ESO observing time. In addition, data papers using observations obtained during non-ESO APEX and non-ESO ALMA time can be retrieved. However, telbib statistics include only papers based on data from telescopes and instruments for which observing time is recommended by the ESO OPC (Observing Programmes Committee).
Metrics derived from the database can be explored in various ways:
- Public telbib interface (https://telbib.eso.org). Search results are shown in tabular format. The results sets can be exported for further use. Search results can be shown as animated charts, created on-the-fly based on the user’s queries, by using the VISUALIZE button.
- telbib Statistics webpage. Interactive predefined graphs of publication statistics derived from the entire ESO Telescope Bibliography (publication years 1996 to present). The graphs can be exported for further use.
Overview by year
- ESO publication statistics overview (table, html). Statistics are linked to the corresponding papers in telbib.
- Basic ESO Publication Statistics (webpage). An overview of publication and citation statistics derived from the ESO Telescope Bibliography.
- ESO Annual Report. Starting in 2011, the Publications section of the ESO Annual Report provides information about publications based on ESO data. Lists of individual papers can be found on this page in the Annual Report section below.
Statistics on demand
- More detailed reports can be provided by the ESO librarians (email@example.com) upon reasonable request.
Annual Report Publication Lists
Publications in refereed journals based on ESO data as well as peer-reviewed publications by ESO staff (with or without use of ESO data) are available through ESO Annual Report lists:
Annual Report 2022: ESO data papers (in telbib database) | ESO staff papers (pdf)
Annual Report 2021: ESO data papers (in telbib database) | ESO staff papers (pdf)
Annual Report 2020: ESO data papers (in telbib database) | ESO staff papers (pdf)
Annual Report 2019: ESO data papers (in telbib database) | ESO staff papers (pdf)
Annual Report 2018: ESO data papers (in telbib database) | ESO staff papers (pdf)
Annual Report 2017: ESO data papers (in telbib database) | ESO staff papers (pdf)
Annual Report 2016: ESO data papers (in telbib database) | ESO staff papers (pdf)
Annual Report publications 2015 (pdf)
Annual Report publications 2014 (pdf)
Annual Report publications 2013 (pdf)
Annual Report publications 2012 (pdf)
Annual Report publications 2011 (pdf)
In order to make sure your ESO-affiliated papers are included in the Annual Report ESO staff paper list, please inform the ESO Librarians about your refereed papers. Please note that paper published in the following journals do not need to be sent as they are checked routinely:
- ApJ / ApJL / ApJS
- MNRAS / MNRAS Letters
- New Astronomy
- New Astronomy Reviews
- Publications of the Astronomical Society Japan (PASJ)
The Telescope Bibliography (telbib) and FUSE are PHP/MySQL tools created by the ESO Library. telbib is used to track ESO-related papers, store additional metadata, and generate statistics or reports. FUSE is a full-text search tool that semi-automatically scans defined sets of journal articles for organisational keyword sets, while providing highlighted results in context. Both tools rely heavily on the ADS web services for bibliographic metadata.
You can find presentation slides and manuscripts describing the design, workflow, and features of telbib and FUSE on the ESO Libraries Publications webpage by searching for the tags telbib or FUSE.
|Access the database: https://telbib.eso.org|
Short sentence with more explanation.
If you use information, plots, or visualizations obtained with telbib, please kindly acknowledge this by indicating
Other Telescope Bibliographies
We provide links to publication lists from numerous ground-based and space-based observatories.
List of observatory bibliographies