Forecasts of Observing Conditions on ESO Sites
- Meteorology forecasts (Temperature, Wind, Cloudiness and Water Vapour) for up to seven days.
- Subscribe to Weather_Watch or check the most recent bulletin.
Access to the ESO Ambient Condition Database Server
Query graphical night reports since January 1994 at La Silla, August 1998 at Paranal.
Related Publications and links
Below, various publications and links are provided for meteorology, telescope environment, atmospheric turbulence, and related topics (including links to some other sites)
- Satellite Visibility (Iridium Flares): Exact local (summer) time of events visible from La Silla and Paranal for the next seven days.
An iridium flare, produced by the sun reflecting on the satellite solar panels, can reach -8 magnitude during a few seconds.
- Sodium Laser Beacon Monitoring
- El Niño Southern Oscillation, links to other sites and ongoing work.
- Earthquakes - information and relevance for observing sites.
- ESPAS ESO Search for Potential Astronomical Sites, with an extensive documentation on Sites Worldwide and Relevant Parameters.
- Astroclimatology of Chajnantor
- Anthropogenic effects on Observing Conditions: Jet Condensed Trails
- Photometry: Night Sky Quality at Mauna Kea, Cerro Pachon, CTIO and IAC. The Night Sky Live at Mauna Kea and other observatories.
- Seeing: Gemini Site Characterization Studies, the WHT Half Arc Second Program, CTIO Robodimm, UW/APO Monitor, Mauna Kea forecasts of Cn2 vertical profiles.