What is GASGANO ?
Gasgano is a Data File Organiser developed and maintained by ESO to help its user community to manage and organise in a systematic way the astronomical data observed and produced by all VLT compliant telescopes, i.e. by telescopes which are being operated through Observation Blocks. The tool also supports FITS files which are not generated by those telescopes but with a limited number of functionalities. For further information, please, refer to the latest Gasgano User's Manual.
GASGANO latest public version:
The latest public version of GASGANO is V2.2.7
GASGANO System Requirements
GASGANO is 100% written in Java and at present is certified for:
- Scientific Linux 4.3
- CentOS 7
running with a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.5.0.
Even though Scientific Linux 4.3 is available on a range of hardware, the provided distribution assumes that the hardware in question is 32-bit Intel machine .
You may install and run GASGANO under an operating system different from the one listed above (including SuSE or MacOS X 10.4), or use a different JRE version, but ESO is not in conditions to guarantee that GASGANO will work correctly in such case.
The system is known to be resource-intensive: see details of memory and CPU usage in Appendix A of the Gasgano User's Manual.
Installing and running GASGANO V2.2.7
To install GASGANO V2.2.7 you will need to retrieve the distribution kit, unpack and install it, and start the
To use the latest Gasgano version V2.2.7, a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.5 must be available on your system. If not, please, download it from following location:
For other OS, please check the official Sun Java website, or the support site for your operating system.
Furthermore, the related 'java' command must be in your PATH.
- In order to retrieve the distribution kit, you may need to configure your Web browser so that it knows how to deal with the files we distribute -- gzipped tar files (
.tar.gzfilename extension; Unix, Linux).
If you click on the link below, your browser should display a file selection panel; if you end up instead with a page full of strange characters, you definitely need to configure your browser.
Alternatively, try clicking on the link while holding the Shift key down.
IMPORTANT: If you wish to interface Gasgano to VLT instrument pipeline recipes build on top of the ESO Common Pipeline Library (CPL) and the qfits library, you will have to download and use the specific instrument package available here. In such case, it is not necessary to download gasgano from this current page, since it will be automatically provided and available with the specific instrument package. Please, notice that the latter is currently available only for a few VLT instruments.
- You MUST be under your $HOME directory to install GASGANO V2.2.7:
- Retrieve the distribution kits for V2.2.7 into your $HOME directory:
- After the FTP transfer, please, verify the checksum value with the
cksumcommand only. Depending on the distribution, it will be:
> cksum gasgano-2.2.7.tar.gz 2828943187 1129509 gasgano-2.2.7.tar.gz
- Backup any existing
.gasganorcconfiguration file you may already have under $HOME:
> mv $HOME/.gasganorc $HOME/.gasganorc.bck.YYYYMMDD(where
YYYYMMDDis the current date)
- Backup any existing $HOME/gasgano/ directory you may already have:
> mv $HOME/gasgano $HOME/gasgano.bck.YYYYMMDD
- Run the following sequence of commands:
> gunzip -c gasgano-2.2.7-(OS).tar.gz | tar xvf -(if you get a 'broken pipe' error, please, run the
gunzipcommand first, then
This completes the installation process.
- To run the Gasgano GUI, create a link to point to the new gasgano version:
> ln -s gasgano-2.2.7 gasgano
- Then, just add $HOME/gasgano/bin to your $PATH environment variable:
> export PATH="$HOME/gasgano/bin:"$PATH
Possible files to update are:
- Finally, enter the
> gasganocommand, possibly after issuing rehash.
Please, notice that this will:
- create a new default
.gasganorcconfiguration file under $HOME.
- create a new default
- If the GASGANO main panel appears, then you have successfully installed GASGANO. You can then delete the compressed TAR file.
- Last step is to make sure you are running the expected GASGANO 2.2.7 release: check the version number listed at the top of the main GASGANO panel.
Current Issue: 4
The GASGANO Users' Manual is available for download in PDF format, 1.2 Mbytes .
If you experience some problem when opening the document directly from your web browser (a blank document or some error messages appear), please, first save the file on disk, and then open it with Acrobat Reader.
Please beware when printing hardcopies that the manual is 66 pages long!
If you experience an unexpected behavior of GASGANO, please, first refer to the list of main known problems, limitations and possible hints for the current GASGANO release.
For any other issues or requests, pleas,e send a report to the ESO User Support Group, describing:
- the GASGANO release you are using
- the version of your OS
- the exact sequence of actions you performed before the bug occurred
- what were precisely the symptoms and the possible error message(s)
- whether the bug is repeatable