- Preparation of the Service Mode observations for all Paranal instruments must be made with the new web-based tool p2.
- For the preparation of Visitor Mode observations for all Paranal instruments, p2 must also be used. For more information please follow Visitor Mode Phase 2 Guidelines.
- Observation preparation for La Silla telescopes must be done using version 2.13.4 of P2PP. Earlier versions are not usable anymore.
- Since Period 96, for most VLT instruments, the former 'Seeing' constraint is now called 'Image Quality' inside the Observation Blocks. As before, you are expected to enter the requested image quality at the observed wavelength and airmass. This must be consistent with the V-band seeing at zenith you requested in your Phase 1 proposal. Conversions between seeing and image quality can be performed with the Exposure Time Calculator for the concerned instruments. The OB validation script of p2 naturally takes this change into account.
- Since Period 91, all observations of moving targets are fully integrated within the automated scheduling of service-mode observations at the VLT. To enable this, all observations of moving targets must specify the ephemeris file as a so-called VLT Parameter File (PAF) as well as the corresponding absolute time windows. More information on the requirements for the ephemeris file can be found at the Moving Targets procedure page.
Please have a look at the latest news and events of the La Silla Paranal Observatory. This page covers some important telescope and instruments news from the various ESO sites.