The Adaptive Optics Group:
- Develops and manages Adaptive Optics systems and facilities for the ESO telescopes (VLT, VLTI and E-ELT), using its strong system engineering competence.
- Designs the test tools to verify the performance; installs and commissions the Adaptive Optics systems at the observatory
- Provides support and training to the Directorate of Operation for the operation, maintenance and update of existing Adaptive Optics facilities
- Provides Adaptive Optics technical and managerial support to the Directorate of Program for the planning, design, realisation and commissioning of ESO projects.
- Explores new Adaptive Optics concepts and forsters the necessary technical developments to demonstrate the feasibilities.
- Develops real time control platforms and algorithms.
- Oversees the development of the Adaptive Optics key technologies in cooperation with industry.
- Develops and maintains state of art adaptive optics simulation tools inline with the evolution of the new Adaptive Optics concepts.
- Performs the necessary Adaptive optics simulations helping the design/optimization of the future ESO Adaptive Optics projects andpredicting and verifing the Adaptive Optics performance.
- Facilitates the innovation and cooperation amongst the European Adaptive Optics community with the support of the European Commission programmes
- Adaptive Optics group expertise and activities
- Adaptive Optics Systems
- Adaptive Optics Technologies
- AO lunch talks
- Other useful links
Special Event: 20 years of Adaptive Optics at ESO